"DR" = Dave Ramsey.
Google him and you will find hundreds of links, articles and reviews of his Total Money Makeover. I heard about him over 10 years ago, but only recently felt like I needed to get my sh*t together and get myself on the right path (financially) to "live like no one else".
His core system is a series of seven "Baby Steps" to get you debt free and financially secure. The steps are well-thought out, make perfect sense and are easy to follow (logically). Execution, however, will be the tough part and you have to be willing to do what you need to do to progress through the steps in order to get rid of debt and live the life you have always dreamed of and be able to afford to enjoy in well into your retirement years. Additionally, the earlier you start, the better.
The 7 Baby Steps are:
1. Establish a $1,000 emergency fund.
2. Snowball your debt. (more about the debt snowball later)
3. Boost your emergency fund to 3 to 6 months of expenses.
4. Invest 15% of your GROSS pay in retirement accounts.
5. Save for your childrens' college education.
6. Pay off your mortgage early.
7. Live like no one else and give freely.
This site will give you a look at my journey through the steps and hopefully motivate you to want to get on board to be financially free.